My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://issascrazyworld.com
and update your bookmarks.

CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Co-Sleeping. Who me? No, never.

Yeah, that's what I said. It worked out too, because we never once let the girls sleep with us. Never. You think I'm kidding, I'm sure. Oh what about when they are sick, you're thinking. Nope. When they are sick, they sleep in their own beds. If they are scared or very, very sick, they sleep on our floor in a sleeping bag. What? I need my space at night. This is what I always said and I went with it. My girls slept in their cribs from night one.

I've never judged co-sleepers, I'd just never understood it.

Then Harrison was born. I can't tell you how it started exactly, because it wasn't the plan. He does have a very lovely crib in his room. The first night we brought him home, it was kinda cold outside and the wind was coming through the windows, making his room a big chilly. So we brought him to sleep with us. That's pretty much the best I can come up with. He's not spent a single night in his crib. Not one single night. He naps in there though. When he naps that is, as he's not really big on daytime naps. he prefers cat naps. Which in reality is okay, since he sleeps about eleven hours at night. I know, I know. Don't ask me how I managed to do this, because I didn't. I've not put that out there before, for fear of him suddenly not sleeping so long at night. He's been doing it since he was about ten weeks old, except for last week when he was sick and Monday night when he woke up twice for no reason. He doesn't move much, he just sleeps in between us, happy as a clam. Are clams happy? I've never understood that statement, but whatever. He just lightly snores and that is actually a really comforting sound. He's a perfect angel bed buddy.

But we're thinking it's time for him to sleep in the crib, before he gets old enough to fight us about it forever. I don't want a toddler sleeping with me. An infant is one thing, but a moving baby and toddler is another. Also, we've made the decision to go to Hawaii alone, as a couple. To you know, get naked and make more babies....or something like that. So, we have to get him to sleep by himself, in a crib, or my mother will shoot me and then I'll be dead. Which really, I'm not that into. I rather like life.

Tonight is the night. I'm hoping I just put him in his crib and he falls asleep and he stays asleep all night. No idea on the chances of that, but hey, he's pretty freaking easy so far, so it might just work. If not, I have no ideas on how to stop this trend we started. Because I never had this problem before. Any ideas would be welcome. Wish me luck though, because I think I'm going to need it.

10 comments:

rachel... said...

Good luck. I could have written this post myself. In fact, I wrote one very similar a few months ago.

My baby has been super easy, too! It's been amazing! She slept 10, 11, 12 hours through the night IN HER CRIB by 6 weeks. Then something happened. One night, she woke up and cried, and I made the mistake of bringing her to bed with me to nurse. That was it. She's been there ever since. Oh, she always starts out in her crib, but just about the time I'm coming to be myself, she wakes up and I've got a cuddle buddy for the rest of the night.

It's so funny because I've always been one to say that I could NEVER co-sleep. But I actually like the cuddling, and don't mind the broken sleep much. She'll only be a baby for such a short time, and she's my last, so I can't complain!

I'm interested to hear how your night goes! He'll probably surprise you and do great!!!

Jaden Paige said...

Good luck! I have a feeling it will go great! :)

Christy said...

Good luck. I don't know how old he is, but if he's not moving much at night, the transition shouldn't be too hard...our daughter is five months old and she slept in one of those co-sleeper things that go right up next to the side of our bed for 11 weeks. We just moved her to her crib at that point because her moving around and waking up was getting to be too much. My fingers are crossed for you tonight!

AND, I'm so happy for you guys that you're going to Hawaii alone - I'm sure you'll have a blast!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

Check out Elizabeth Pantley's "The No Cry Sleep Solution" - there are great tips for getting out of co-sleeping. If you don't want to buy it, I'll send you my copy.

Also, if he doesn't like the crib (it feels very wide-open after the snug bed) -- try using a co-sleeper that you would normally place in the bed. If you let him sleep in that, in your bed for a few nights and then put the cosleeper in the crib and let him sleep in the cosleeper, in the crib, that sometimes helps. Or you can try jumping straight to the cosleeper in the crib, since he's an easy sleeper.

Anyway those are my tips :)

Kirsten said...

I can barely sleep with my husband in the bed, much less a child. I say whatever works for your family is fine by me. Co-sleeping was never my thing though.

Good luck! Just think... he won't be sleeping with you when he's 16 so it can't last forever right?

:-))

anymommy said...

Wishing you a perfectly boring, drama free transition. We had to shift our youngest to his crib at about five months. It wasn't too bad.

Stephanie said...

Good luck! I'm thinking of you. It might be tough but it's a good thing in the long run. And I loved the getting naked and making more babies part. That's my idea of a good vacation!!!! ;)

Kari said...

Sending you good vibes for a restful night!

I didn't do the co-sleeping thing with either of my two, but I did have trouble getting my first one to go to sleep when I'd first put her down for the night. I used the Baby Whisperer's "pick-up/put-down method. You can find the details on the Baby Whisperer website, under the forums.

Hoping you won't need any advice!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with everything! It would be hard not to sleep next to that precious baby. Aiden always slept in his crib I wasn't much for someone taking space in my bed either.

have fun in hawaii ;);)

SuZ said...

I'm a co-sleeper... but we didn't start out that way. But I'm glad we did. I love having her in the bed.

And Hawaii? I am so jealous.