My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://issascrazyworld.com
and update your bookmarks.

CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Not sure when it happened

Last night, at say two thirty-four ish am (tentatively) Logan and I found ourselves with three sleeping kids, on the bathroom floor. Croup. Oh it's such a lovely sound. I knew they all had coughs, I'd been listening to it all day, but I didn't know how bad it was. At 1am, I found out. Bailey and I spent about 45 minutes on the bathroom floor with the shower on at full blast. Then the baby started the seal cough and Logan brought him in the bathroom with us. After another half hour Morgan woke up, came to find us, saw us all on the floor and went and got her blanket and pillow and came in and laid down in between us. All of this without a word. It was almost like she thought it was a slumber party and she was somehow missing out on it. Withing minutes she was asleep. Bailey was asleep in Logan's arms and Harrison fitfully sleeping in mine. Everyonce in awhile, they'd all start coughing. It was like being in a TB ward or something.

We sat there watching them sleep, listening to them cough for a while without talking. At some point, Logan asked me when it happened? When did what happen, I asked? When did we become the adults?

You know, I just don't know. I'm not sure when exactly it happened. When Morgan was a toddler and got sick in the middle of the night, I'd still look around for who this mommy of hers was. Why was she looking at me when she said it. I'm not sure when it happened, but I no longer look for her real mommy anymore. I am a grown-up. Logan and I are grown-ups. We have three children, a dog, a mortgage and car payments. In a month, we will have been married for ten years. We save for retirement and our kids colleges. We pay our bills on time and we get our carpets cleaned every now and again. We drink more coffee than alcohol and we enjoy going to bed at a reasonable hour. At some point, we became adults. We're just not sure when exactly.

I'll tell you a little secret though. I don't mind this life. The life of an adult with a family. In fact, I rather enjoy it.

10 comments:

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I love this....

I realized I was a grown up when Connor looks at me to help him when he has his reflux spitting up. And that i can ALWAYS soothe him.

It rocks.

Susan said...

We were in bed at 9:45 last night. But I do still love my wine...
; )

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

aww i hope they're feeling better! i wonder all the time how the heck we turned into adults. it's crazy.

Stephanie said...

Croup is nasty. Our two get it and I have spent time locked in the bathroom with a towel stuffed under the door to ensure the steam stays in. It breaks my heart to hear them like it.

Also, I would much rather have the life I have now, the one with all the responsibility, than the single party life I used to live.

Shonda Little said...

Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

hope the barking has stopped

Anonymous said...

this is just the sweetest post.

i have no snark in me after reading that. i should probably come back and read it every day. i would be a kinder and gentler snarkaloohoo if i did.

anymommy said...

Definitely. When does that happen? Hope they are all well.

The Queen said...

yEA.. ADULT.. then you wake up one morning and go WTF? when did I become a GRANDMOTHER...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

Great post.

Adulthood sneaks up on ya. They said it would, and I didn't believe them. But it does. It did.